Thursday, February 17, 2022

EOTO: Class Observations and Notes (1)

        


        During my classmates' EOTO's I learned a lot about the history of video games. For example, I knew that the first video game was based on radio waves, but did not know that it was called “Tennis for Two”. I also learned that it was similar in play style to Pong, which has been incorrectly credited as the first video game. It is played by getting two large bars at the end of the screen which are controlled by two players who try to hit a ball into each other’s side. I also didn’t realize how much of a reach video games really had, with over 100 billion dollars in revenue for the industry. I know that I play video games quite often, and having access to them changes the way I spend my time. Additionally, I am planning on learning a gaming software Unreal Engine 5 for programming 3D spaces. This technology can be paired with real cameras and will be used to change the way that cinematography will be done forever.



        I also learned how important the carrier pigeons were to communication in society. Firstly, their history goes back into ancient times before printing was even a concept. Secondly, they used carrier pigeons for a long time, even into the first World War. I imagine it was interesting typing something out on a typewriter, and then rolling up and attaching it to the leg of a bird and just sending it off; an interesting clash of technology. Knowing this, how messy it was to clean up, feed, and organize all the hundreds of pigeons that a single garrison would even have, It is also interesting to think of how communication would be now if we still had to communicate through small birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog Post: My Experience With Social Media

          My relationship with social media is not unhealthy, but it is certainly not perfect. I spend my time on social media for three rea...